I love my old Habitat propagator but this winter two of the glass windows fell out and refused to go back in. So instead we cut clear perspex replacements which was an easy material to bend into the slots and I am so pleased to have a few more years use from it. After a thorough wash with hot soapy water followed by a rinse containing a bit of bleach to keep algae at bay it’s now ready for the first trays of seedlings.
These grow to 150 cm and will require some discreet supports to stop them flopping forward so I rounded up metal props from Gap Garden Products. It’s good that they’ll rust once exposed to the elements.
Back in November I planted 25 Allium sphaerocephalon bulbs in pots ready to dot around the new border. Here they are looking healthy and should be ready to plant out in a month when I start the re-design.
A lovely pot of Iris ‘Edward’ opened this week and it has a very faint perfume of baby talc so it may need to be my scented plant for the month of March.
It’s not a good weather forecast for this week so this morning I picked anything in flower to cheer up the kitchen table: hellebores, lamium for leaf interest, rosemary and daffodils plus two iris from the pot above.
And I found blackcurrants at the back of the freezer (picked last year to use in summer puddings and missed) so I made a pot of jam. Using just 500 g of sugar to 500 g of fruit kept it tart and it has a very delicious, intense flavour.